Strawberry shortcake cake recipe
- 3 pints strawberries
- 2 of Buddy's Vanilla Cake, recipe follows
- 2 quarts chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups Sugar
- Reserve 8 of the nicest berries to decorate top of the cake, then hull and halve the remaining berries.
- Cut the tops off of each cake so they are smooth and even.
- Whip the cream with the sugar to soft peaks. Place one cake layer on serving platter, leveled/cut side up. Spread or pipe whipped cream on the cake. Add strawberries and another thin layer of whipped cream. Stack the next cake on top with cut side facing up. Spread or pipe more whipped cream on top and decorate the top of the cake with the strawberries.
Buddy's Vanilla Cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour, plus more for flouring the cake pans
- 2 cups sugar, plus more for unmolding cake
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- Unsalted butter, for greasing two cake pans (about 2 tablespoons); nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil may be substituted
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.